Birdathon 2017 - Save These Dates
You can attend one or more of the following informative sessions. Please check the ones you will attend on the registration form so that we can plan for seating and refreshments.
- 2:00-2:15 Birdathon Registration: Register today if you're ready to go.
- 2:15-3:00 “E-Bird” with Richard Gibbons: Learn how eBird can help plan your birding big day and contribute to citizen science.
- 3:00-3:15 Break
- 3:15-3:45 “Plan Your Birdathon” with Julia Garrett and Barbara Tilton: Learn the tricks of the trade in fundraising and birding from some of the best.
- 3:45-4:00 Break
- 4:00-4:30 “Birding 101” with Mary Anne Weber: Learn how to spot and locate birds, general rules and etiquette for birding.
What is Birdathon?
Birdathon is a team-birding fundraiser that started back in 1981 and continues to grow each year. Teams are typically made of 4 participants. Teams compete to count as many bird species as possible in a 24-hour period and raise money much like any marathon. Birdathon includes an awards celebration at the end of the competition.
Everyone is welcome to participate! If you are new to birding, please join the fun. We have veterans and experts that will help you along the way and can even join your team. Birdathon is a great way to enjoy spring migration and support Houston Audubon at the same time.
Birdathon 2016 by the Numbers
Birdathon Sponsors 2016
- $42,536.00 in Donations
- 27 Birdathon Teams
- 3 Birdathon/BirdFest Corporate Sponsors
- 4 Award Categories
- 8 Birdathon Prize Donors
- 2 Birdathon Parties (Kickoff Party and Birdathon Celebration Party)
None of this would have been possible without our dedicated participants, fearless team leaders, caring sponsors, and giving donors.
Thank you to our enthusiastic Birdathon Committee— Cindy Bartos, Judith Schott, and Pam Smolen— for all your help, support and guidance.
Prize Winners 2016
Whittington Award (Most Money Raised): Wandering Warblers ($5,495)
Team members: Jim Winn, Sara Bettencourt, Cindy Bartos, and John Bartos
Prize: 2-night cabin stay at Ethridge Farms, (4) spots on the Ivory Bill nature boat tour, and breakfast at Mama Jack's Road House Café
Oberholser Award (Most Species Identified): High Island Crew (158 species)
Team members: Winnie Burkett, Julia Garrett, Joanna Friesen, and Barbara Tilton
Prize: 2-night cabin stay at Cypress Creek Retreat and wine tour and tasting at Westcave Cellars Winery
Best Story (from birding day): Edith Moore Eagles
Team members: Ella, Cate, Monika, and Brad Moore (first year to participate in Birdathon)
Prize: (4) Tickets to see Shrek The Musical and $100 gift card to Ruggles Green
Best Team Photo: Edith Moore Eagles
Team members: Ella, Cate, Monika, and Brad Moore
Prize: (4) spots on a Houston Audubon Owl Prowl and $25 gift card to Baskin-Robbins