High Island Policies and Rules
- Privately owned and managed by the Houston Audubon Society.
- The four sanctuaries at High Island (Boy Scout Woods, Smith Oaks, Eubanks Woods, and Gast Red Bay) are open 365 days a year, dawn to dusk. At Smith Oaks the gate at Old Mexico Rd is open dawn to dusk March 15-May 15 and on weekends in the fall: September 15-October 15. The Winnie Street entrance at Smith Oaks is open 365 days a year, dawn to dusk.
- The entry fee for adults at High Island sanctuaries is $30 for an annual patch or $8 for a day pass. Children and students are free. All groups pay full admission. Group billing available with prior approval from the Houston Audubon office. Proceeds benefit Houston Audubon Sanctuaries.
- Boardwalks may be slippery when wet.
- Beware of venomous snakes, mosquitoes, fire ants, poison ivy and armadillo burrows.
Because this is a wildlife sanctuary, we ask you to observe the following rules.
Respect all wildlife. You are the visitor. This is their home.
Respect the peace and be considerate of other sanctuary visitors
No harming or collecting or introduction of plants or animals
Leave no waste
Stay on marked trails. Walking only. No bicycles.
Do not obstruct trails
Please be considerate of other visitors. Do not block trails with tripods, chairs, ladders, baggage, etc.
No drone photography
Use of laser pointers is prohibited at all Houston Audubon sanctuaries
No pishing or use of playback devices unless special permission is obtained
Firearms are not permitted on the grounds
No smoking or alcohol consumption
No dogs or other domestic animals
Contact Pete Deichmann, Sanctuaries Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Photography Guidelines for the Rookery Free Observation Platforms
- Please show consideration for other sanctuary visitors and allow them to view birds from the observation platform.
- Limit your time at the front of the observation platforms to 20 minutes.
- Photographers wishing to spend more than 20 minutes taking pictures must use the rookery rental platform.
- Flash photography allowed only within the photo blind at Boy Scout Woods.
- If you are not taking pictures, please move your equipment off the platform.
Tents at Smith Oaks
Tents are allowed in the picnic area only. The maximum limit is 3 days. There is no charge. Tents must be down each morning. No open fires. No water is available. but portable toilet facilities are available
Allowed at Smith Oaks parking lot only. The maximum limit is 3 days. There is no charge. There is no water and no electricity. Generators may only be used for one hour at a time from 7 AM to 9 PM.